NRECA has several research projects underway in cybersecurity and offers numerous resources for members to help address their cybersecurity needs.
- RC3 – Rural Cooperative Cybersecurity Capabilities Program – Goal: to develop tools, resources and training opportunities to improve the cybersecurity and resiliency capabilities of electric cooperatives. Funded by the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Essence – Goal: to develop a cybersecurity technology that detects anomalies in utility network traffic. Funded by the U.S. Department of Energy.
- GridState – Goal: to extend and improve the capabilities of Essence. Funded by the U.S. Department of Defense.
- React – Goal: a research collaboration between NRECA, N-Dimension Solutions, Inc., Milsoft Utility Solutions, and NRTC to integrate Essence into commercial products and services. Funded by the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Simba – Goal: to develop a rapid cybersecurity testing capability in silico. Funded by the U.S. Department of Defense as part of the GridState program
- MultiSpeak® – Goal: to provide online comprehensive interoperability testing and certification and implement cybersecurity extensions for de-risking technology integration.
NRECA Resources on Cooperative.com
- Guide to Developing a Cyber Security and Risk Mitigation Plan Toolkit – a set of tools and resources cooperatives can use to strengthen their security posture.
- Cyber Security Policy Framework – a collection of cybersecurity policy templates developed in collaboration with the Kentucky Association of Electric Cooperatives .
- RC3 Website – cybersecurity resources developed by the RC3 Program.
- TechUpdate – a twice monthly email newsletter containing the latest information on technical publications, articles, reports, webinars, and conferences.
Other Cybersecurity Resources
- Cybersecurity Capability Maturity Model (C2M2) – a cybersecurity self-assessment evaluation tool from the Department of Energy to assist organizations in identifying specific areas to strengthen their cybersecurity program.
- Cybersecurity Risk Management Process (RMP) Guideline – guidance from the Department of Energy to incorporate effective and efficient risk-management processes into a new or existing cybersecurity program.
- SEDC Information Security Program Library (ISPL) – a collection of cybersecurity template policies, procedures, standards, and forms.
- SEDC Cybersecurity Operations Center – managed security services information site.
- NISC Cybersecurity Services – a suite of training and network protection resources.
- Cyber Mutual Assistance (CMA) – an Electricity Subsector Coordinating Council (ESCC) initiative to develop a pool of industry experts with cyber skills and experience who can provide assistance on a voluntary basis to other participating entities.
- Computer Readiness Emergency Teams (CERT) – the United States (US-CERT) and Industrial Control Systems (ICS-CERT) teams are funded by the Department of Homeland Security to respond to major cyber incidents, analyze threats, and exchange critical cybersecurity information with trusted partners. ICS-CERT assists control systems vendors and asset owners/operators to identify security vulnerabilities and develop sound mitigation strategies.
For more information and updates:
- Visit Cooperative.com’s BTS Cybersecurity page.
- Sign up for our newsletter, TechUpdate: TechUpdateSignUpRequest@nreca.coop
- Contact Cynthia Hsu, Cybersecurity Program Manager at Cynthia.Hsu@nreca.coop or our RC3 team at CybersecurityRC3@nreca.coop.
Cybersecurity Insert Featured Stories
Main Story: Cyber Cooperation
Defense in Depth: Who Should have Access?
Human Resources’ Role in Cybersecurity
Defending Your Co-op’s Network: Options and Resources to Help
Taking Stock: A New Tool to Assess Cybersecurity